1.   Where do we find the proof of insurance or certificate of insurance? Will there be a “Summary of Coverage” provided to travellers?

When the policy is renewed (this happens each year, around February) the generic travel insurance certificate will be produced and uploaded to the General Area, Travel Insurance Folder on SharePoint. The certificate will include some key information on coverage and contacts for claims. An e-mail will be sent out informing all NAs that the notification has been uploaded and indicating where it is uploaded to. The travel insurance page on the website includes the key features document and full policy wording (documents N-03 and N-03a).

The certificate should be printed and a copy given to every participant, staff or leader.  Everyone should carry a copy of the insurance certificate with them to the programme and this is what they should use to show they have insurance.

2.   We are applying for a VISA and the consulate says the Notice in our SharePoint folder is not enough. What can I do?

Please contact the International Office which can arrange for a visa support letter to be produced for your NA.  If you require a letter that lists each participant, please make sure to include their full names and the programme reference number in your request.  It is recommended the full policy wording be taken to the consulate too. This can be found on our website (document N-03a).

3.   The insurance covers up to 10 days of additional leisure travel, but the policy says something about “in accordance with CISV International Basic Program Rules” – what does that mean?

In line with our Programme Basic Rules (Info File C-03), for Village, Interchange and Step Up; all participants attending these programmes shall travel directly to the hosting Chapter with no overnight stay on the way, except where travelling arrangements require.  So any leisure travel before those programmes would not be in line with CISV rules on extra travel and would not be covered by our insurance.  Travel before other programmes would be covered as additional leisure travel.  Travel after any programme is permitted by our rules so would also be covered as additional leisure travel.  Note, however, that some NAs have stricter rules on additional travel, which must be followed by their participants.

4.   The coverage is for “participants”. Is there any limitation on coverage if a participant has failed to become a member of his/her chapter, or does the fact that we are sending them as a participant automatically provide coverage to them, even if they are not CISV members?

The cover is automatic for anyone sent by an NA as a participant, staff or leader to an international programme.

5.   What about the delegation leaders, the JCs and the local staff? Are they automatically covered as well?

All host and international staff, leaders, participants, and JCs are automatically covered for all international programmes. This does not include Mosaic projects. Note that NAs are charged for insuring leaders, participants and JCs, but not for staff.

6.  What about International Staff —   Is the hosting NA or the sending NA responsible for arranging insurance cover?

International staff are automatically covered. The sending/home NA must provide a copy of the insurance certificate to anyone serving abroad as international staff.  There is no additional charge to NAs for staff insurance.

7.   What about Interchange participants and leaders? Are they automatically covered as well?

Interchange participants and leaders are cover during the travelling phase. As this is travel coverage, it is designed for people on a trip, away from their regular residence. So it would not cover Interchange participants or leaders during their home phase. During that time, they would be covered by their regular national and/or private insurance.

8.  If we host a camp and have local delegates, do they need to pay for additional CISV insurance?

No as the costs of the insurance cover are already included in programme participation fees and is based generally on the length of the programme. See C-10 for more information: CISV International Fee Structure).

9.   How do I organize travel insurance cover for other CISV trips and events?

Travel insurance can be requested to attend a CISV event such as a Regional Meeting, Regional Training Forum or International Junior Branch Event.  Requests should be made, by emailing the International Office.   The request must be made by the NA Secretary and the cost will be billed to the NA.

If you are travelling on behalf of CISV International (for example on a promotional visit or a meeting), you can also request insurance by emailing the International Office.  Your insurance will be paid for directly by CISV International.

10.   Who can make an insurance claim? The person, the parent/guardian; or does the leader bear this responsibility?

Anyone covered by the CISV Travel Insurance can make a claim for themselves or a parent/guardian can make a claim on their behalf. This is not something the leader should be doing unless the claim is for him/herself.

All claims are made through a claims handling company called Intana. The travel insurance page on the website includes information on how to make a claim (documents N-04 and N-04a).  If you need assistance urgently or want to arrange for direct payment to the hospital or clinic, you must contact Intana immediately.  If you need to submit a written claim, please use the CISV Travel Insurance Claim Form

Please do not send medical invoices to the International Office and make sure that the hospital or clinic sends the information to Intana.

11.  If a child delegate turns seriously ill while travelling with CISV, does our insurance then cover the expense involved in flying one or both parents to the child?

This would be covered by the following paragraph (currently within the Section B Medical and Other expenses): (b) to pay reasonable travel and hotel expenses of up to 2 relatives or friends (not necessarily an Insured Person) who are required to travel to, remain with or escort a severely incapacitated Insured Person; (see document N-03, page 10).

12.   Should we pay upfront and get reimbursed later for everything?

For small amounts, you may want to pay, then claim the money back.  For larger more expensive claims Intana would prefer to have information as soon as possible so they can communicate (and pay) directly with the medical staff / establishment ensuring a swift result.

If you incur medical expenses, especially when invoices are being left unpaid, contact Intana immediately to start a claim. Intana cannot deal directly with the clinic or hospital unless you have contacted them and opened a file.  Ensure that all documents and information are sent to them and not to the International Office.  More information can be found on N-04 CISV Travel Insurance – How to Start or make a Claim (you can find this here).

13.  Medical claims can be very expensive, even for a minor treatment at a clinic (i.e., stitches). We have suggested $200 as “emergency” money in the past. Does International have a suggestion for what is appropriate emergency money for medical costs under this insurance?

This is for each NA to decide themselves as they are best placed to make such decisions. Remember that you can always contact Intana immediately and ask them to pay the provider directly.

14.  What is the time frame within which a claim must be made? 24 hours? 72 hours? 30 days?

In general terms a claim must be made as soon as reasonably practical, however If the Insured Person is admitted to a hospital or clinic as an in-patient, Intana must be notified within48 hours of admission in order to confirm the conditions of cover.  The Intana assistance line is available 24/7/365.

15.  Is the contact number provided an international toll free number or do we need to inform parents that the call will cost them at international rates? Is Intana available on Viber or other free international calling systems?

There is no toll free international number. Monthly number rental costs in each country would make this very expensive to set up and maintain. Intana is not a member of Viber or any other international free phone service. They cannot accept collect calls, but if you ring them, they can call you back.

16.  It is unclear how disputes for claims are handled…

Once Intana has reviewed the claim, they will inform you of how much they will pay you. If you disagree with any part of their decision:

Contact Intana and press Option 2 ‘Claims’ if you are phoning or use the Claims fax or e-mail and discuss the situation with them informally.

Then, if you are not satisfied, you can send a written complaint to Intana. We suggest that you contact the International Office on international@cisv.org to let us know in case there is any assistance we can provide.

If you are still not satisfied, you can appeal to Financial Ombudsman Service. Appeals to the Ombudsman are handled under UK law. The Financial Ombudsman Service was set up by the UK parliament to sort out individual complaints that consumers and financial businesses aren’t able to resolve themselves. This service is free to consumers.

17.  If claims are made, in what currency are these paid?

Intana will send the money directly to the claimant, to their bank account, in their local currency. In the very unusual case where bank transfers are not possible, they will work with CISV International, which will, in turn, work with your National Association to ensure that the amount is paid.

Note: If you paid by credit card, then make sure to claim the amount you were charged on your card in your currency (this amount is likely to be different from the amount on the bill where you were treated).  So you may need to include a copy of the relevant line from your credit card statement.

18.  Are there legally binding translations of the policy?

The Underwriter advised this would incur costs, which would be charged to CISV (as this is not generally provided and would be an extra step at CISV’s request). All translations would have to be verified by Underwriter and that it reflects the true likeness of the English version of insurance summary or contract wording whichever document used. If you would like to consider providing a translation for verification, please contact the International Office and they will provide an indication of translation costs.

19.  Are possible pregnancy complications covered in this insurance?

The section that covers pregnancy states:

Underwriters agree: To pay reasonable and necessary Medical Expenses (excluding psychiatric treatment), additional hotel and costs of emergency evacuation to nearest appropriate medical facility and/or repatriation expenses necessarily incurred as the result of pregnancy but not within two months of the estimated date of delivery.

20.   Is there a list of preferred hospitals that we need to use?

Please always call Intana first to confirm which hospital or clinic you are using when possible. In some parts of the world, Intana is only able to arrange direct payment for specific hospitals. NAs can check before the programme if there are preferred hospitals near their campsites by contacting Intana.

21.  Are there any activities that are excluded from the policy?

You will not be covered for medical costs needed as a result of these activities: winter sports; including skiing, snow-boarding, tobogganing, mono skiing, and bob-sleighing.  Also, mountaineering, riding or driving in any kind of race, sports tours, or motor competitions are also not covered.

22. I can’t reach Intana – what should I do?

In the event of system failure of Intana’s Assistance line, please call: Telephone: + 44 (0) 1992 444 337

If you have a question about the CISV Travel Insurance that you think would be helpful to include here, please contact the International Office.  

This website uses cookies to give you the best experience. Agree by clicking the 'Accept' button.